The Master of Medical Science by Research is a Faculty of Medicine programme. It is a broad-based postgraduate degree designed to allow graduate in the field of medicine and health science students to pursue research topics in a range of areas and disciplines within the scope of Medical Science. The scope of the MMedSc by Reseach conducted in the Department of Public Health will focus on research with public health importance.
|Programme Education Objectives (PEO)
|Graduates will be trained to contribute towards the field of medical sciences.
|Graduates will work within a team to pioneer research in the field of medical sciences as a skilled researcher
|Graduates will communicate and disseminate their research findings in the field of medical sciences ethically and professionally
|Programme Learning Outcome(s) (PLO)
|Demonstrates expertise in the field of medical science research
|Apply practical skills in the field of medical science research
|Relate societal issues with medical science research
|Perform medical sciences research with independent supervision and adheres to the laws, ethics and professional code of practice
|Communicate research findings effectively, in written and oral format, to the community and in scientific journals in the field of medical sciences
|Problem-solve using scientific skills and critical thinking
|Manage information from medical science research and participates in lifelong learning activities
The Department houses two Universiti Malaya Research Centres, the Centre for Epidemiology and Evidence-Based Practice (CEBP) and the Centre for Population Health (CePH) which is under the Health and Wellbeing Research Cluster of the Universiti Malaya. The centres provide support for our faculty members and postgraduate students.
This programme is a research programme leading to the submission of a dissertation and the format is as provided in the University of Malaya (Master’s Degree) Rules 2014 and University of Malaya (Master’s Degree) Regulations 2014.
- Research Methodology (MMX7001) (3 credits):
- Candidate must successfully complete Research Methodology Course (MMX7001) within the first two (2) semester of registering as a student at University of Malaya.
- Pass your Proposal Defense by Semester II.
A non-Malaysian applicant whose degree is from a university or institution of higher learning where the medium of instruction for that degree is not in the English language shall be required to:
- Obtain a score of 600 for a paper-based total (PBT); a score of 250 for a computer-based total (CBT) or a score of 100 for an Internet-based total (IBT) for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); or
- Obtain a band of 6 for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (Academic).
- The degrees of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery or the degree of Bachelor of Dental Surgery; or
- The Bachelor degrees in the relevant sciences field of the University and a CGPA of not less than 3.0 or equivalent; or
- An equivalent qualification approved by the Senate from time to time; and
How to Apply?
- The application is open all year round, for the two intakes, i.e., Semester 1 (September/October) and Semester 2 (February/March).
- Students are advice to first identify suitable supervisors before applying for the MMedSc by Research programme. The list of potential supervisors is available from our website.
- Complete the online application form at the MAYA portal.
- Upload all the required documents. “Click to Confirm Application” when you have completed the application and uploaded all the required documents.
- A processing fee of RM50.00 (Malaysian) or USD60.00 (Foreign applicants) is applicable.
Read more about What makes a good supervisor?
You can get the latest fees for the programme at the Study@UM portal