In an article published in Bernama News, Prof Dr Noran Naqiah Hairi, Assoc Prof Dr Farizah Mohd Hairi and Assoc Prof Dr Hazreen Abdul Majid share their views on how to protect our children during the time of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Make sure they wash their hands frequently with soap and water or use a hand sanitiser.
- Make sure they observe the coughing and sneezing etiquette. If a tissue is used to cover the mouth/nose, the soiled tissue should be disposed of in a dustbin. Wash hands with soap and water or cleanse with a sanitiser.
- Make sure they keep their hands away from their face.
- Prevent them from shaking hands with others.
- Keep them away from people who are unwell.
- Make sure they eat a balanced diet. Food served should be well-cooked and consist of carbohydrates, protein, fat, fibre, vitamins and minerals. Drink an adequate amount of boiled water.
- Ensure they practice social distancing. During the ongoing school holidays, avoid visiting crowded places and plan some activities for them at home.
They said that it is the responsibility of all parents to take the necessary preventive steps to protect their children against infection. The practice of maintaining social distancing is very important to stem the spread of COVID-19.