Community posting for our medical students is one of the main activities that has been enshrined into our medical curriculum since the start of the programme in our Univesity. During normal times, we would have sent the medical students to the district health office for actual postings and exposure to the Malaysian healthcare system and the community.
However, in the time of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have to modify the programme to a hybrid model.
The students were still able to experience public health through some innovative measures that we have implemented. One of the measures is the inclusion of the Public Health communication activity. The decision to include the activity was from our experience during the COVID-19 pandemic, where many of the academics from the Department were asked for comments or speak on COVID-19. Many of us have also written articles about COVID-19 for local newspapers.
Learning from this, we also encouraged our students to communicate with the public through publishing their opinion on local news portals. Here is the list of articles that have been published:
- Adjusting to life after lockdown: Citizen’s power in preventing a new wave of Covid-19
- How Resilient Is Our Food System At Times of Pandemic?
- Medical frontliners deserve better
- Online learning among undergraduates: challenges and suggestions for optimal health
- Vaccination as a Possible Solution to the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Workplace Violence: Time To Heal Our Healers?